MASTER CYLINDER WAS LEAKING FLUID INTO BOOSTER

• davidgti
  • 1983 Volkswagen GTI

Master cylinder was leaking fluid into booster. I fitted new master cylinder and drained the brake fluid from the booster. With the new master cylinder fitted the brakes lock on badly after a few applications. If I disconnect the vacum hose (I have block off the hose) the brakes release but I have no assistance. Is there any option other than replacing the booster.

Thursday, October 25th, 2012 AT 5:18 AM

• Dr. Hagerty

Rebuilding the booster would be an option, it might be just as costly though. The brake fluid has damaged the booster and replacement is probably the only solution for this issue.

Thursday, October 25th, 2012 AT 5:21 AM
  • exovcds

Do you have the correct amount of free-play in the brake pedal?

If the pistons in the master cylinder are not able to return fully, pressure will build-up in the lines because fluid can not return into the reservoir.

Adjust the booster rod "tip" that pushes against the master cylinder to get the correct amount of free play.

Thomas

Sunday, October 28th, 2012 AT 5:47 AM