IS MY BATTERY JUNK?

1983 Toyota Pickup

530Tiffany

January, 1, 2012 AT 2:59 AM

I have a 83 Toyota pickup truck sr5. 2.4L engine. I just replaced the alternator, the voltage regulator, battery terminals; but after started when I disconnect the terminals from the battery It won't stay running and dies. What could be causing this?

Not Charging Battery

Battery Will Not Charge

fixitmr

January, 1, 2012 AT 3:02 AM

83, that's an oldy!

January, 1, 2012 AT 3:03 AM

You need to complete your question after ( But after started when? Need more details

530Tiffany

January, 1, 2012 AT 4:18 AM

Well the problem started the other night while driving, when coming to a stop the battery light and the Ebrake light came on. It didn't die or anything, made it home, it would start but with the bat. Light wouldnt shut off and the battery meter was the lowest i'd seen. So we unhooked the battery while running to see if our alternator was the problem and. It died. So then we got a new one and it would start, but then unhooked the terminals just to see and. It died.

530Tiffany

January, 1, 2012 AT 4:25 AM

Then we changed the voltage regulator thinking that was it and still would die when we unhooked the battery. So I'm figuring a fusible link but since the Ebrake light came on at the same time and it won't turn off either, maybe there's some link that is in common with those two light being on. I dunno, so any ideas would be helpful. Thank you

fixitmr

January, 1, 2012 AT 4:31 AM

If alternator has single hot post run a wire directly to bat and see if that makes light go out.

530Tiffany

January, 1, 2012 AT 7:00 AM

Ok I relayed that message to my hubby, but what will that mean and how would that work and is there any way of doing that, that could mess something up?(Sorry I'm just a girl).
K- also I've been researching and stuff and on a forum there was this guy w/ similar prob, multiple alternators from kragon (the rebuilt ones) and until he got one from Toyota (a real one) was he able to fix his problem. Could it still be the alternator because we got our rebuilt one from kragon too?

fixitmr

January, 2, 2012 AT 7:52 AM

Make sure alternator has good ground to engine and engine has good ground to body/battery. So this vehicle has seperate voltage regulator?

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Alternator testing done right