BATTERY CHARGED 75STARTER TURNS ENGINE OVER ...

1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass

madole

January, 30, 2013 AT 2:14 AM

Battery charged 75%, starter turns engine over great 3 times, 4th time battery low, then just clicks. Did not drive car, let idle maybe 5 minutes. Alternator maybe out?

January, 30, 2013 AT 2:16 AM

Nope, battery cannot hold its charge.

Replace it

madole

January, 30, 2013 AT 3:02 AM

This happened on my old battery, the clicking and not starting, so I bought a brand new battery, it still did the same as with my old battery

Starter motor may have a dead spot. Try tapping it with a hammer while someone has it in the start position.

madole

I'm that 71 old lady, how would the starter have anything to do with also the lights in and out of the car go dim too? If when the battery was charged and when I tried starting it was on different days those three times

madole

February, 2, 2013 AT 10:31 PM

Went out and bought a new alternator, after installed by a friend, he used jumper cables on the battery for about 10 minutes while my car was off, it started right up, so far i've started it three times on its own alone, it starts immediately, the multimeter took a reading 14.58. You think that might have been the answer, alternator?

madole

February, 2, 2013 AT 10:51 PM

Went out and bought a new alternator, after installed by a friend, he used jumper cables on the battery for about 10 minutes while my car was off, it started right up, so far i've started it three times on its own alone, it starts immediately, the multimeter took a reading 14.58. You think that might have been the answer, alternator? Many people have wondered why it has such a big alternator for a small 6 cyl engine, do you know why?

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide