I HAVE A 1983 MERCEDES BENZ 300D

1983 Mercedes Benz 300d

Natasha

December, 15, 2010 AT 9:48 PM

I have a 1983 Mercedes Benz 300d. I was driving on the highway and took an off ramp so I slowed down, when I tried to speed back up it wouldn't do anything. I had my foot to the floor and it wouldnt speed up at all. I had to coast to the parking lot. After that it wont start again. It tries but it wont. Its been making a sound of metal hiting metal for a couple weeks but now theres another sound that everytime it tries to start it sounds like something metal is swinging around hitting the cover. I was told it might have to do with the timing chain. What is wrong with it?

mhpautos

February, 6, 2011 AT 1:33 PM

Does the engine still crank over or does it stop with this noise? Does you have oil in the engine?

Dr Loot

December, 11, 2011 AT 1:54 AM

Sounds to me like you threw a rod, remove the valve cover and you will be a to see the timing chain if it is still in one piece, report after you have done that

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test