I HAVE AN 83 CAMARO V8 AND IT WAS WORKING FINE ...

1983 Chevrolet Camaro

the camaro guy

I have an 83 camaro v8 and it was working fine and soon it statred dieing on me. I replaced the battery and carb and still nothing. Now the car will start but I have t rev the rpm around 4 or 5 to keep in going. I hav someone changing the distributor and transmission control modeuale or switch. Any ideas so I can use my car and stop spending this amount of money on it?

Is this feed-back carb or fuel injected? How long since a tune-up? If computer controlled, check for applicable trouble codes. To check for codes, use a jumper wire between the A & B terminals at the datalink connector. Turn key just till the dash lites come on, no further. The mil on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes.

the camaro guy

Its not fuel injected. And I just replaced all wires plugs water outlet tube gaskets and the rotor cap. It worked fine for a month then slowly started dieing. So about 3 months since tune up. And thank you very much.

If you have 02 sensors in the exhaust, it is computer controlled. Check for codes.

the camaro guy

Its not computer controlled no sensors. My old carb it would backfire through the carb and shoot out gas? Any other ideas?

the camaro guy

The new carb on it is a choke carb so could the distributer have to be changed because its not advanced timing.

Check spark timing. Check cylinder compression. I'm about out of ideas?

the camaro guy

I'll try that and so is my dad and i. But Thanks for your time and help

No problem, let us know what you find.

the camaro guy

February, 21, 2014 AT 5:34 PM

Timing chain had jumped on me. Fixed that then ran like a charm. Thanks for ur help haven't been on in a while haha.

February, 22, 2014 AT 11:55 AM

I'm glad you got it going your way.

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Alternator testing done right