While driving my car, the blower motor was on low, wipers on intermittent, and all of a sudden the charge light came on, everything went to high speed, dash lights came on, (it was daylight and they were not on), and then the car just died. No power to anything. Battery would not take a jump. I had the alternator tested and it is ok, charged the battery, but I am afraid to hook the battery back up. Inside the car, while everything was happening, I did smell a slight hint of warm wiring, but no smoke. Outside the car, there was nothing hot, smoking, or smell of burnt wiring. Should I connect the battery back and check for the surge of power again, or is there something that I need to look at or do before I connect the battery. I am lost at what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I would do nothing without a shop as you may cause major damage if there is a short.
It sounds like your alternator has failed and shorted out.
September, 25, 2011 AT 5:11 PM
I had the alternator tested at 2 different locations and the alternator passed all 3 tests it tested for. Do you think it is something intermittent inside the alternator?
September, 25, 2011 AT 5:24 PM
October, 1, 2011 AT 11:26 PM
Ok, replaced the alternator and charged the battery, but no power to the car. Where are all the fusible links located? I can't seem to find a repair manual for this car at the auto part stores. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
October, 12, 2011 AT 2:26 AM
Well, I guess you get what you pay for on this site. I didn't pay for the answer and got the wrong advice. As well as it cost me $75.00 dollars for the alternator that still didn't fix my problem even though the "expert" tech said it was. And so 10 days after I replied again. Still no answer. Be careful what you believe on here as I think that these guys want all your money in order to answer your question. So, if you are on here looking for advice don't bother as it will be wrong