AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFTER SEEMS LOOSE

1982 Jeep CJ7

dmcagle

October, 6, 2012 AT 4:58 PM

When putting it in gear it dont really feel like its in the slot it is really loose and almost moves freely. Is there a way to tighten this up?

October, 6, 2012 AT 5:40 PM

You need to check for worn bushes and linkages. If any are worn or damaged, replacing them should solve the problem.

dmcagle

October, 7, 2012 AT 1:28 AM

I just got a tranny rebuild would it be on the trans or will it be in the steering column

October, 7, 2012 AT 1:31 AM

If problem was not there prior to trans rebuild, it should be at trans side. You need to check to confirm.

October, 7, 2012 AT 3:22 AM

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SLIPPED BY ME!

I'M GONNA SQUARE YOU AWAY!

I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THIS IS NORMAL 30 YEAR WEAR OR POSSIBLE H. ELL DAMAGE

I MOSTLY MESS WITH CJs W/ STANDARD TRANSMISSIONS. BUT I CAN STEER YOU TOWARDS STUFF THAT MAY HELP YOU.I CAN ALSO HELP YOU WITH OTHER STUFF TOO. JUST ASK!

OK HERE'S THE DEAL

----A FACTORY MANUAL (SOME DISTORTIONS FROM BEING SCANNED). THIS IS THE BEST MANUAL YOU CAN USE

INSTALL "JEEP CJ 7"

THEN "1982"

THEN CHASSIS-STEERING COLUMNS (4,076KB)

DEPENDING ON WHERE THE SLOP IS---YOU MAY NEED A PIN---A BEARING--MAYBE THE WHOLE COLLAR--ETC.

SOMETIMES YOU CAN DRILL THE PIVOT HOLE A LITTLE LARGER TO MAKE IT A "PERFECT CIRCLE" AGAIN, THEN USE A LARGER PIN IN THE NEW HOLE

LOOKIN' THRU IMAGES SOMETIMES HELPS YOU FIND WHAT YOU NEED

WHAT ENGINE YOU GOT. TRAC-LOC?

WHAT WAS WRONG, THAT REQUIRED THE REBUILDING?

PICS ARE NICE FOR US TO GO BY + WE LIKE TO SEE WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON. ANY MORE QUESTIONS. KEEP ASKING AT THIS POST

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service