IS MY FLYWHEEL TOO TIGHT?

• PatM
  • 1982 AMC EAGLE

I replaced my flywheel and starter now the car wont start, sometimes turns over slowly other times grinds, I have tried charging and jumping the battery same thing, could I have tightened the flywheel bolts too tight and it is binding?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 3:56 PM

• Hmac300

Have the starter check, it may need shimming or the starter drive is going bad on the starter. As long as you tightened the bolts to spec then don't worry about i.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:18 PM
  • Wrenchtech

It's definitely not too tight but could be the wrong flywheel or even installed backwards.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:22 PM
  • PatM

The flywheel is identical to the old one, I installed it the same way the other one was in, is that why the old flywheel was ground out then? Which way should it be facing?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:25 PM
  • Hmac300

Is it a stick or automatic?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:28 PM
  • PatM

It is an automatic.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:39 PM
  • Hmac300

It cold be on backwards but it should have the dished part to the crankshaft. The part kinda like ) that towardsthe crank. But it cold be the wrong sizze like wrenchtech said as wellas starterdrive on starter. I dont' remember if those are shimmed starters or not, but I think not.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:43 PM
  • Wrenchtech

If it was identical, the existing starter would have worked if it worked on the old flywheel, assuming you didn't leave ay previously installed shims out.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:43 PM
  • PatM

I see, well the old flywheel must have been in backwards also then and thats why that one got chewed up, I bought the car like that put it all together back the way it was before but yeah I thought it didnt look right the dish part ( is facing out towards the transmission away from the crank so the old one was backwards too then if it should face the engine. Oh joy I get to do it again for a Third time :( One more thing there is a spacer ring does that go on the crank before or after the flywheel?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:50 PM
  • Wrenchtech

I think you have it in the right. I would expect the bevel to face away from the crank, otherwise it won't seat flat. The is a reinforcement plate that goes on the OUTSIDE of the flywheel but that won't affect the depth.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:55 PM
  • Wrenchtech

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/41826056.gif

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:56 PM