Is my flywheel too tight?

PATM
  • 1982 AMC EAGLE

I replaced my flywheel and starter now the car wont start, sometimes turns over slowly other times grinds, I have tried charging and jumping the battery same thing, could I have tightened the flywheel bolts too tight and it is binding?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 3:56 PM

Have the starter check, it may need shimming or the starter drive is going bad on the starter. As long as you tightened the bolts to spec then don't worry about i.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:18 PM
WRENCHTECH

It's definitely not too tight but could be the wrong flywheel or even installed backwards.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:22 PM
PATM

The flywheel is identical to the old one, I installed it the same way the other one was in, is that why the old flywheel was ground out then? Which way should it be facing?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:25 PM

Is it a stick or automatic?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:28 PM
PATM

It is an automatic.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:39 PM

It cold be on backwards but it should have the dished part to the crankshaft. The part kinda like ) that towardsthe crank. But it cold be the wrong sizze like wrenchtech said as wellas starterdrive on starter. I dont' remember if those are shimmed starters or not, but I think not.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:43 PM
WRENCHTECH

If it was identical, the existing starter would have worked if it worked on the old flywheel, assuming you didn't leave ay previously installed shims out.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:43 PM
PATM

I see, well the old flywheel must have been in backwards also then and thats why that one got chewed up, I bought the car like that put it all together back the way it was before but yeah I thought it didnt look right the dish part ( is facing out towards the transmission away from the crank so the old one was backwards too then if it should face the engine. Oh joy I get to do it again for a Third time :( One more thing there is a spacer ring does that go on the crank before or after the flywheel?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:50 PM
WRENCHTECH

I think you have it in the right. I would expect the bevel to face away from the crank, otherwise it won't seat flat. The is a reinforcement plate that goes on the OUTSIDE of the flywheel but that won't affect the depth.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:55 PM
WRENCHTECH

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/41826056.gif

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 4:56 PM
PATM

So it IS in there right then? I am running out of ideas going crazy I have already had it all tore apart and back together twice already.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:00 PM

Normally after the flywheel. If this has a pan where you can see there, try to manually engage the starter gear to look before you pull it all apart.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:02 PM

One other thing if that shim is on the wrong side of the flywheel it will push the flywheel further away from teh starter to make it engage. But if it's like the drawing you are ok.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:04 PM
WRENCHTECH

I still think you have the wrong flywheel.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:05 PM
PATM

I can move the starter gear by hand I just bought the starter a few days ago. I thought the old starter was bad because of the grinding but the new one does the same thing. It sounds terrible like something is majorly wrong somewhere. I think I may have put that ring on the crank before the flywheel, is that why I am having this trouble?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:08 PM

Yes it would shim the flywheel out to far from the starter. If the ring is like the drawing wrenchtech sent you you are ok, if it's on the other side then its' wrong.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:09 PM
PATM

If the flywheel isnt right then the old one wasnt either?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:11 PM
PATM

So hopefully if I take it all back apart again, put the ring on the side between the flywheel and transmission it should work ok?

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:13 PM

Put it like the chart shows and go from there.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:14 PM
PATM

Will do, guess I'll get back at it AGAIN.

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 5:16 PM