1981 MERCEDES 380SL

• jazzyjack
  • 1981 Mercedes Benz 380sl
  • automatic

There are times when I turn the key nothing happens, I've check the battery, which is good. I was told the problem might be with something called a [startup warmer]. Is there such a thing, and if so. Where will I locate it for replacement? Also, where can I buy one? Thanks

Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 10:46 PM

• fixitmr

Maybe it's your park/neutral switch. They can be finicky sometimes. Cant find any start up warmer on net!

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 4:38 AM
  • jazzyjack

What do you mean by [park/neutral] switch? In the morning it will start normal. Then if I like drive it to the store, turn it off and the engine cools down it takes maybe 6 or 7 cranks to turn it over. This oa puzzling because it sits over night and will start, but once started and it cools it will not start easily.

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 5:07 AM
  • fixitmr

Park/neutral switch is part of ignition key circuit. Its on the trans shift shaft. When in park or neutral it allows car to start. But not in any other position ie D L 1 2 etc. These contacts in switch can become worn misaligned. Thus no juice for starting. Although dash warning lights should still come on.

Have you tried different pedal positions when attemping to start? I know my car likes a little pedal and it fires right up. Otherwise i'm cranking too much.

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 7:07 PM
  • fixitmr

What kind of fuel system does the car have? Is it fuel injection?

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 7:09 PM
  • jazzyjack

Yes it's fuel injected.

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 7:53 PM
  • fixitmr

Ok, when you say cools down we dont know how cool? Obviously overnight is cold as it's gonna get. And the reason for not starting on cool down is the mixture is to lean or rich. I'm gonna guess rich. For a couple of reasons. Old car and injectors may be leaking, old car and temp sensor is out of spec. Also have you tried the new iridium spark plugs? There have been several reports of starting and running problems solved by just using these plugs!

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM
  • jazzyjack

The injectors were replace about a year ago. I will try the Iridium plugs, check the mixture and let you know the results. Thanks

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 8:26 PM