OIL IN RADIATOR

• zarrtann
  • 1981 Buick Regal
  • automatic

I have an 81 regal w/3.8. I'm seeing oil in my coolant. Also, coolant is leaking behind engine on passenger side. What do you think is causing the problem?

Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 5:04 AM

• craigss1013

OIL IN COOLANT? SINCE THE COOLANT SYSTEM IS UNDER PRESSURE I DONT THINK ITS MOTOR OIL YOU ARE SEEING, I BELIEVE IT IS TRANSMISSION FLUID. THAT SYSTEM HAS A TRANS COOLER BUILT IN THE RADIATOR THAT HAS RUPTURED, IF IT LOOKS LIKE MOTOR OIL PULL THE TRANS DIP STICK OUT AND CHECK COLOR, I BET THE TRANS OIL IS DIRTY OR DARK. ALSO SMELL IT, IF IT SMELLS BURNT YOU BETTER FLUSH. As far as your leak on that v6 check all heater hoses to your firewall where it hooks into heater core, also check water line exchange connectors on block or intake.

Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 5:55 AM
  • hmac300

Have a pressure check done, you may have a blown head gasket or cracked something. It could be trans fluid as well though. If it is the rad trans coolerlines are leaking.

Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 12:07 AM