Why can't I get my RX7 to run?

CWHILL
  • 1980 MAZDA RX7

I have rebuilt my 1980 rx7 carb, followed all the diagrams, cleaned and soaked all the parts, jets, etc. I am getting good fuel into the carb, the engine turns but won't start. I can hear that the car wants to start but it just won't fire. I have also replaced everything else, ie. Spark plugs, wires, distributor, thermostat, ect. I replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm and still nothing. What do you think? Oh, it did start once, the first time I reinstalled the carb, but since then nothing.

Friday, May 18th, 2012 AT 5:24 PM

FIXITMR

Is this what it was doing before carb rebuild?

Friday, May 18th, 2012 AT 6:59 PM
CWHILL

Sort of, when I bought the car it had a 1981, 82, or 83 carb on it, and the owner gave me the 1980 original carb that was on the car before he changed it. The car started with a great deal of effort but would not drive over 30 mph, I rebuilt the carb by soaking the parts and rebuilding it, then the car would go about 65 mph, but have no acceleration from 0 to 35. I then rebuilt the 1980 carb followed all the direction, pictures, manuals, vacuum diagrams, etc, etc. I started the car with no problem right after I re-installed the 1980 carb, then it died and won't restart. So to answer your question, yes it did this before. I am afraid there was some bad gas. I have also replaced all the in line fuel filters, spark plugs, wires, fluids, thermostat, 2 ignition control modules, and all the brakes.

Friday, May 18th, 2012 AT 10:27 PM
CWHILL

Here are some images

Friday, May 18th, 2012 AT 11:04 PM
MHPAUTOS

Check that there is actually fuel in the carby, with air cleaner off check that fuel is spraying when you open throttle.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 9:33 AM