IM LOOKING TO REPLACE THE DASH CLUSTER IN MY ...

1980 GMC Truck

jessesandberg

January, 17, 2013 AT 2:16 AM

Im looking to replace the dash cluster in my truck because its cracked, I have another one and know how to replace it but this one has a tach on it, I know I need to run the wires from the tach to the ditributors 12v and tach spot, but I do not know which wire goes where. Could anyone explain to me how I should do it?

January, 17, 2013 AT 2:52 AM

The top piece is just screwed in, there are screws on top up by the windshield and there are many around the front portion. Look at the replacement and you will see where they are secured. Take your time and dont force anything.

jessesandberg

January, 17, 2013 AT 2:58 AM

Oh sorry, I was trying to ask how and where exactly do I connect the wires leading from the back of the tach to the distributor, its a stock dash cluster.

January, 17, 2013 AT 3:03 AM

On the front of the distributor, there is a red wire that clips into the cap. Right next to it is another terminal that says tach on the top. Attach the wire there

jessesandberg

January, 17, 2013 AT 3:21 AM

So both wires from the tach go into the tach terminal And thats it? Or is the red wire involved at all?

January, 17, 2013 AT 3:28 AM

No, one is a ground and one goes to the tach terminal. Are there any instructions with your tach?

jessesandberg

January, 17, 2013 AT 3:35 AM

Negative, my uncle gave me a whole new dash cluster for my truck because the old one was smashed, I just put the new one in and routed the wires for the tach in it and I was staring at them trying to figure out where they went exactly.

Remove and Replace Dashboard
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911