TO WELD, OR NOT TO WELD?

1980 Fiat Spider

EricAlexander

January, 20, 2011 AT 1:15 AM

My 1980 Fiat Pinninfarina Spider has a bolt-in crossmember that has been welded in place. Dose this make it too rigid? Could it cause stress fractures or any other problems?
Thank You,
Eric

Wiring Issue?

Dr. Hagerty

January, 20, 2011 AT 1:40 AM

I suppose that could happen, although it seems a bit OCD. The answer might be easier to make if there was a picture. How long has the cross member been in service with this welding job? From a structural point of view, welding can form stress risers, welding to frame rails opens up a whole new can of worms.

EricAlexander

January, 20, 2011 AT 2:02 AM

It was welded long enough ago that grime has built up well. I recently had an alignment as shortly after had a lower control arm rip through the crossmember. The shop that the claims department sent it to does not want to do the work saying that this probably happened because the welded crossmember is too rigid. All cracks and damage has shinney metal though.

Dr. Hagerty

January, 20, 2011 AT 3:27 AM

Insurance claims usually have a support structure that gives them the power to say no and get away with it, especially when a car that has been altered from its as maufactured or original condition hits the floor. I have no idea where this goes from here, good luck.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Fuel Pump Pressure Test