ENGINE DOES NOT WANT TO REV UP

1980 Dodge Truck

jb85128

October, 7, 2012 AT 12:01 AM

I have a 1980 dodge w150. The problem I am having is once I start my truck it does not want to rev up, it just wants to die when I try to rev the engine.

I am having trouble identifying two modules on the driver side fender wall next to the hood hinge. Each module has a 3 wire electrical plug and one has a ground strap coming from the wiring harness to the mounting screw. Not one parts store can identify these parts and I can not find any info in my repair manuals, they are not even shown in the wiring diagrams that I have. I can send a pic if you email me at aztrckr@gmail. Com

one of the modules has melted the protective plastic on the back side of the module.

Thanks for any help. Jay

hmac300

October, 7, 2012 AT 12:39 AM

The module for a electronic igintion wl have 5 wires going to it. The three wire one should be the voltage regulator. If memory servesme correct the one closest to the fender is the voltage regulator.

hmac300

October, 7, 2012 AT 12:43 AM

Chekc resistance of pickup coil it should be 150-900 ohms. Air gap shold be.008" check with a non magnetic feeler gauge and with vacuum applied to advance mechanism. What engine is this?

jb85128

October, 7, 2012 AT 1:04 AM

I forgot to mention that these are neither the voltage regulator or the ignition control module, those are both located on the firewall behind the engine. These are located on the driver side fender by the hood hinge if I forgot to mention it.

The engine size is a 318 with a 2-bbl carb.

hmac300

October, 7, 2012 AT 3:26 PM

Cardiodoc says they are emission timers and to check your gas tank screen as it plugs up and wil give you a problem similar to yours. Check yoru vacuum advance to see if it works and no hose leaks. As well as fuel

jb85128

October, 7, 2012 AT 5:41 PM

Okay, so how do they work for emissions? Can I just eliminate them?

hmac300

October, 7, 2012 AT 6:12 PM

It h as no bearing on how your truck is running. You don't need to disconect them becaue they don't do that much. The truck is 32 yrs old no need to worry about it now.

jb85128

October, 7, 2012 AT 10:57 PM

Okay, thanks for the help.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars