ROUGH IDLE ON A 79

1979 Lincoln Continental

spangelo

February, 23, 2011 AT 3:10 AM

HI- I have a 1979 Lincoln Town Coupe' with 61K miles. I have had trouble with a rough idle. I had the carb rebuilt and adjusted but the idle is still rough. I hear a vacuum leak near the gas pedal once the car warms up. I hear it after I let off the gas-could this have something to do with a rough idle? This car has miles of vacuum hoses so I'm not sure what to do to solve this. Any suggestions? Thanks!

mhpautos

February, 23, 2011 AT 4:19 AM

If you are hearing a vacuum leak around the throttle pedal, this may be a leaking brake booster unit, to check, unplug and block of the booster vacuum supply, run the engine and listen around the pedals, if no noise it will be the vac unit, do not drive with vac unit unconnected as your brakes will be very hard and they will not work very well.

spangelo

February, 24, 2011 AT 4:35 AM

Thanks Mark-would that also affect the car's idle or is that more timing and carb?

mhpautos

February, 24, 2011 AT 8:05 AM

A vacuum leak will certainly affect the idle quality.

Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8