OK REPLACING REAR BRAKE HOSE MOUNTED ON REAR ...

1979 Ford F-250

scrapiron1254

March, 25, 2013 AT 4:43 AM

Ok replacing rear brake hose mounted on rear axle. The bolt (BANJO) WAS RUSTED COMPLETELY RUSTED OFF. I need to know what part am I looking for. The banjo has a hose connected to the top that is the vent made to be turned by a wrench. I need to know what size that banjo is and where would I find such a part. Finding a used has been unsuccessful. Also can I use a newer model that maybe uses same setup. So far ive had no luck with that also. If I knew the exact size the local auto parts may have a replacement, any help would be appreciated.

ma av

March, 25, 2013 AT 5:09 AM

For a little clarity the rear brakes have a metering/proportioning valve mounted above the center of rear axle, from that point a brake hose goes to the left and right rear wheels, from those brake hoses there may be a flex hose that would go to wheel cylinder(drums) or a flex hose to a caliper(rotors) a local parts house will carry banjos, I would also suggest while your there maybe renting flare nut wrenchs to install brake lines. Hope this helps feel free to reply

scrapiron1254

March, 25, 2013 AT 5:16 AM

Actually this hose comes from steel line to the rearend and the banjo mount this block and also vents the rearend it has 2 outlets for wheel cylinders but banjo does not interfere with the brake fluid only works as a dual purpose as a mount and the vent for rearend Dana 60 rear

ma av

March, 25, 2013 AT 5:26 AM

Ok, banjo bolt is ment to have fluid passed through thats why its hollow, the block I believe is called a brake pressure metering valve, if replaced make sure you bleed brake system of air

scrapiron1254

March, 25, 2013 AT 5:39 AM

Yes the term banjo was reffered to me by auto parts store assoc. In my opinion it looks like a Long threaded nipple--- threaded end holds down the distribution block to rearend and allows the gasses from rearend to pass through to the connected hose on top which flows through the check valve on the end. Im trying to find out what this part is reffered to. Or Any kind of reference I can get to the auto parts guys to track me down one. All after market companies do not carry such part.

ma av

March, 25, 2013 AT 7:18 AM

Maybe try a year newer when asking for parts

Brake Flex Hose Replacement Guide
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front