WHITEISH SMOKE COMING FROM TAIL PIPE!

1979 Chevrolet Chevette

09emdog

November, 26, 2011 AT 2:38 AM

Could this be a bad catalytic converter? Anyway to test if it is without taking off the caty? We have a decrease in mpg thats all I have noticed. I know it could be blow by or a bad head gasket but I havnt had to fill the oil or the antifreeze.

mhpautos

November, 26, 2011 AT 2:49 AM

I doubt that it will be a converter, but if you go get an exhaust gas analyzer test done this will show the emissions and give an indication as to the serviceability of the converter, also with the exhaust cold, just give the converter a thump with your fist, if it rattles at all, this will be an indication that the matrix has cracked.

09emdog

November, 26, 2011 AT 3:12 AM

Well if you dont think that its not a caty then what do you think it is? The antifreeze is a nice green and the oil is a good color.

09emdog

November, 26, 2011 AT 3:15 AM

Where can I get this exhaust gas analyzer test? In wisconson they dont require any emission test.

mhpautos

November, 26, 2011 AT 5:35 AM

White smoke is a sign of coolant burning, it may not be a lot and not very noticeable in the coolant, a head check will confirm this, this is a simple chemical test for Co in the cooling system, any work shop should be able to do this simple test, as for the exhaust test many work shops have 5 gas analyzers for general service work, ring around you should find one that can do this for you.

09emdog

November, 29, 2011 AT 4:05 AM

Ok im planning on doing a compression test and was wondering what the compression should be. Also I dont mean a lil white smoke if it is white not a blue/white smoke (blow-by) I mean alot.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen