MY FUSABLE LINK AT THE STARTER SHOWS IT IS GROUNDED UP STREAM, EVEN WITH THE STARTER DISCONNECTED?

1978 Chevrolet Van

fred fuentes

April, 15, 2012 AT 1:32 AM

I can not get power on van. When I connect pos. Cable to battery, which has 12 volts, it rapidly drains down to 4 or 5 volts. I know the fusable link wires are shorted, but where? The Haynes book wiring diagrams are not clear where the wires go.

cadieman

April, 15, 2012 AT 2:02 AM

The fuse link at starter is a 6 inch wires that hooks to the starter seloniod pull on the wires if 1 is blown it will fall apart.

fred fuentes

April, 15, 2012 AT 2:26 AM

I attatched a wire to the link to pull it thru the metal protective tube and I read thru the link with a multi-meter. The fusable link is fine. The ground is up stream from the starter. I need to know where the wires go.

cadieman

April, 16, 2012 AT 2:24 AM

Charge and load test the battery. Besure your cables are clean and tight. Start here. What is the voltage problem exacty. Battery goes dead overnite or just wont start?

fred fuentes

April, 16, 2012 AT 2:56 PM

I forgot to tell you, I have the pos. Cable from the battery disconnected and also have the ign, switch disconnected. When I connect a multi-meter to the fusable link terminal I am reading to ground. I think I have corrosion somewhere. Where do the wires go from the fusable link go? I have a Haynes manual but the wiring diagram is not clear. Thanks, Fred

cadieman

April, 16, 2012 AT 11:23 PM

Hook everthing up and diconnect the neg. Battery cable. Hook a test light or meter from the cable to the battery if their is a draw killing the battery. If ite more than 50 ma or the test light is bright u have a draw. Start here

fred fuentes

April, 18, 2012 AT 3:43 AM

I did as you asked. I hooked up everything and disconnected the neg. Cable. I am not sure how to check the voltage draw on the battery. I checked the battery voltage for about ten minutes. It held ten volts all this time. I hooked up the neg. Cable and the battery voltage dropped to four volts at once. I will try to follow the orange and brown wires from the fusable link to see where they go.

cadieman

April, 18, 2012 AT 4:32 PM

Hook the meter leds hook 1 to the neg. Cable and 1 to the neg. Terminal on the battery. Put it on milli amp scale then come back with a reading.

fred fuentes

April, 19, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

Will do, but I do not think my problem can be solved until I find out why the fusable link terminal is showing ground with a muli-meter. Even with another car jumpered to the battery, I do not get any voltage to my van?

fred fuentes

April, 21, 2012 AT 3:21 AM

I did as requested. Put muli-meter between battery neg. Terminal and battery neg. Cable. I used MA 50 scale. When I first touched the leads I read 30, I kept the leads touching and after about two or three minutes, the reading was 200. In a earlier post, after I hooked up the pos. Cable to the battery, I went from 11 volts to about 3 volts in a minute or so. I have a short somewhere up stream of the fusable link. Thanks, for your help.

fred fuentes

April, 21, 2012 AT 3:30 PM

Thanks, CJ, I will try some of these tips, but I still can not get the van to accept any DC pwr. From the battery or a jumper cable?

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006