WHATS WRONG WITH MY TRUCK

1978 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe

wolfpack53

December, 4, 2010 AT 2:57 AM

What is wrong with my truck it has good battery and starter but it wont turn over it is a 1978 chevy?

caradiodoc

December, 4, 2010 AT 3:09 AM

An easy place to start, if you aren't familiar with making electrical checks, is to pop the cover off the starter relay and squeeze the contact. If the engine cranks, we know the battery, cables, connections, and starter are ok. That test will tell us where to look next. You might want to have a test light handy.

hmac300

December, 4, 2010 AT 3:12 AM

This is pretty simple system on this truck. Does the starter get good power or not. A test light will show a dim light if it doesn't give good power. You have anuetral safety switch if it's not in park or nuetral it won't start. The starter shold be check ed for draw. How do you know the battery is good or not? They can go bad fairly quick. Can the engine be turned over by hand?

wolfpack53

December, 4, 2010 AT 3:12 AM

Well I just bought a new battery and starter thinking that was the problem and it still wont even click or anything but everything inside the truck and outside works.

hmac300

December, 4, 2010 AT 3:21 AM

See if there is power going to the purple wire on the starter. If there is you may have it hooked up to the wrong pole. Also make sure all the wires are hooked up.

wolfpack53

December, 4, 2010 AT 3:39 AM

Well there are three wires going to the starter the batery wire and then there is one that hooks up to the big pole that plugs into the ditributor than there is a little wire pluged into something idk what is though.

Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011