I HAVE A 78 VETTE THAT HAS A MISFIRE PROBLEM ...

1978 Chevrolet Corvette

crazyjoe53

October, 22, 2012 AT 9:17 PM

I have a 78 vette that has a misfire problem when it warms up. I have changed the wires, plugs, cap, coil and rotor. EGR valve, that needed it, mufflers and converter, needed them too, rebuilt the carb, checked the timing and tried to advance and retard it, thermostat, and checked for vaccuum leaks, none found. A shop I tried said I did everything right. It could be a bad throttle base on the carb. I ordered a rebuilt carb, same results. After it is warn when I am at idle at a light, I can see my tach drop out briefly and feel it too. Then I sputter on acceleration till at a constant speed. The engine has about 10,000 miles on it. It's dirving me CRAZY. Joe

Egr Valve

October, 23, 2012 AT 3:59 AM

CHECK COMPRESSION---MAYBE YOU HAVE A BURNT VALVE OR SOMETHING IN THE CYLINDER LEAKING IT DOWN

CHECK IT COLD AND FOR SURE, HOT

crazyjoe53

October, 23, 2012 AT 5:27 AM

Oh yeah, I also did a compression test. All of the cylinders were at 145 to 150 psi. I might of done it cold.