OIL PUMP REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE

1977 MG Midget

lonelyrider

May, 19, 2012 AT 5:47 PM

Dear Gentlemen
I have a Midget 1977, when acelerating oil pressure goes to 80 and as oil is getting hoter goes down to 40, but when not accelerating goes to 0, I would like to change the oil pump, would you please be so kind and tell me the procedure to do it step by step? Or where can I find it?
Thank you in advance
Enrique

Docfixit

May, 19, 2012 AT 6:00 PM

Pressure of 80psi says pump is good. Suspect problem in pressure relief valve or faulty oil filter. On left side block fine HEX head plug remove see copper washer then spring then relief valve check that it slide easily and spring in good shape. Oil pump attached to crank requires removal of oil pan. Has engine been reuilt in it's 300K life?

lonelyrider

May, 19, 2012 AT 6:25 PM

Thank you for your kind answer.
I doubt the engine has been revilt, since I have it, 2 1/2 years ago, have only changed a piston, and it's metals once but no more.
I will follow your suggestion and check the pressure relief valve
before changing the pump.
Thank you again for your very valuable support, you helped me a lot.

Docfixit

May, 19, 2012 AT 6:34 PM

If relief O.K. And change out filter did not help. Get engine warm then pull valve cover start if oil does not come up to rockers then excessive worn Cam bearings the reason

Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element