1977 MG MIDGET OIL PUMP REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE

• lonelyrider
  • 1977 MG Midget

Dear Gentlemen
I have a Midget 1977, when acelerating oil pressure goes to 80 and as oil is getting hoter goes down to 40, but when not accelerating goes to 0, I would like to change the oil pump, would you please be so kind and tell me the procedure to do it step by step? Or where can I find it?
Thank you in advance
Enrique

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 5:47 PM

• Docfixit

Pressure of 80psi says pump is good. Suspect problem in pressure relief valve or faulty oil filter. On left side block fine HEX head plug remove see copper washer then spring then relief valve check that it slide easily and spring in good shape. Oil pump attached to crank requires removal of oil pan. Has engine been reuilt in it's 300K life?

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 6:00 PM
  • lonelyrider

Thank you for your kind answer.
I doubt the engine has been revilt, since I have it, 2 1/2 years ago, have only changed a piston, and it's metals once but no more.
I will follow your suggestion and check the pressure relief valve
before changing the pump.
Thank you again for your very valuable support, you helped me a lot.

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 6:25 PM
  • Docfixit

If relief O.K. And change out filter did not help. Get engine warm then pull valve cover start if oil does not come up to rockers then excessive worn Cam bearings the reason

Saturday, May 19th, 2012 AT 6:34 PM