Ignition

RIEGE6969
  • 1977 JEEP CJ7
I have a 1977 cj7 with a 232 six, prestolite ignition system. I have changed the disibutor, cap, rotor, plug wires, igniton moduel, spark plugs, I still runs porly at speed but does ok if I keep the rpm down, I noticed when I grabed the with wire going from the moduel to the disibuto it would start missing and die? I changed the wire out and tested it again, if I grasp the wire or allow it to touch ground any were along it's length it will start missing back fire and die?
Monday, August 1st, 2011 AT 12:00 AM

You may have a broken or almost broken wire to the module or distributor.

Is this Prestolite "Crapola" ignition?

I can help you upgrade reasonably, if your Jeep is a Keeper!

I answer most of the CJ 5s and 7s. See forums

Your Turn

The Medic
Monday, August 1st, 2011 AT 12:42 AM
We're looking at less than $100, upgrade to '79 on up.

A 232-258 basically the same thing on the outside

I'll tell you exactly what to get. If interested

My #1 Jeep is a '77 too, after 4 modules and 3 distributors, I decided it was time to upgrade up to what my previous '79 had in it. This. "Crapping Out", always occurred at the worst possible times!

I've owned 7, still have the last 2. Since 1981

Can you butt-splice wires (correctly)?

Do you have a voltmeter, can you check DC voltage with it?

I suggest you by the 2 main ingredients, as we want it to be reliable (I'll tell you exactly what/ where to get a distributor and ignition module!)

Do you have access to a auto parts salvage yard---I prefer self serve type. Must have a variety of '80s on back, Fords (Jeeps are scarce). Just need a few wires W/ connectors off of them. Probably will just give 'em to you!

If this sounds hard, it really ain't!

I'll talk you thru changin' the Distributor the EZ way. So don't jump ahead, or it will get complicated!

I'll show you what wires need to connect. The works!

Are you able to adjust timing, and have the proper meters?

Do you have a repair manual?---If so, Cover title?

Are you game?

Below is my old Presto dist, now modified into a oil primer for rebuilt engines. You will see my upgrade to Motorcraft, ignition ('79 Jeep), my 4 bbl intake and carb. Other good stuff!
Monday, August 1st, 2011 AT 1:31 AM
RIEGE6969
Thanks for your offer, I was really wanting to figure this out? I have changed all the wires and such just to find out my alt was putting out 21 volts ac? I changed it and now it seems fine, I'am going to up grade to a chevy style dist with the coil in the cap though, there only 150 bucks and I have always liked them.
Monday, August 1st, 2011 AT 3:24 PM
The problem with Prestolite is the wires are little "Solid" copper wires going into the distributor--No matter how well you tie 'em up and support them they vibrate and break---Living example now typing to you!...........MOTORCRAFT USES STRANDED WIRE, I THINK IT IS 18 GAUGE.

The other problem it has is the darn "Bellows" contained in the white plastic (this is how the advance operates) will also split/ break/ get a hole in it--PRESTO!!! No timing advance and vacuum leak all in one shot!!!---You won't know it until, you experiment with your timing gun, and see it does not advance!

Darn modules seem to die more often too!

The problem with the "One Wire" distributors is it will not work with the "Resistance Wire" (normally feeding the coil) from the ignition switch--Full 12 Volts must feed the NEW STUFF, and you must tie in a regular wire in behind the "SPLICE" where the Resistance Wire, comes into being (basically replace or make a "Twin", for the "RW" out of regular ole wire to be the new "KEY FEED"

You are really not gonna gain much, just because you are wanting to use the "IN THING"...A "High Speed, Low Drag" Aftermarket coil on the Motorcraft system, will be super, and you will see no giant leaps in Performance, which ever way you go!

This is what I found, nothing wrong with Reman stuff, it has a lifetime warranty too

Looky Here! Price is right!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Distributor/1979-Jeep-CJ7/_/N-imcptZ93xku?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=distributor&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=768895_76774_0_

Lifetime warranty on this too....WHAT A DEAL!!!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Ignition-Control-Module/1979-Jeep-CJ7/_/N-imcptZ9ci7x?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=ignition+module&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=118422_300759_5526_

A few salvage yard wires w/ connectors, Butt splices, and you are in business!

AS FAR AS THE DISTRIBUTOR SWAP--I CAN EXPLAIN THAT REALLY EZ, SO THAT YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO GO THRU THE "FIND TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE" PROCESS...I CAN MAKE THE SWAP EZ, IF YOU WILL NOT MOVE IT/ REMOVE IT, TILL I EXPLAIN!

AS FOR TUNING STUFF YOU WILL NEED (MAINLY TO SET IDLE SPEED AND GET TIMING BACK TO SPECS....THIS KIT IS AVAILABLE AT "HARBOR FREIGHT" FOR LESS THAN $40

INVESTIGATE THE SITE...THEN INVESTIGATE CJ5 & 7 FORUMS

I WILL HANG WITH YOU AS LONG AS IT TAKES...JUST DO YOUR END AS "KINDERGARTEN-LY INSTRUCTED"...WE WILL GET ALONG FINE---NOT LIKE OTHERS ANSWERING HERE, I'M ON A CRUSADE W/ THE CJs---NO FAST, GET OUT OUTTA HERE ANSWERING FROM ME!!!

FREE GUIDANCE--REAL PICS--REAL EXPERIENCE...............

HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG?

The Medic

I have already begun, assembling a partial EXPLANATION wiring diagram for you to go by...IT'S NOT COMPLETE, I HAVE A BIT MORE TO ADD TO IT...I'LL GIVE YOU A GLIMPSE, SO YOU WILL GET INTO THE "MODE"!!!
Monday, August 1st, 2011 AT 6:59 PM
Meant to add this in, got carried away

If your Distributor wires are broken, you may find just the "Pick-up" with wires separately for the Presto.I never did locally

You may have to get the whole distributor. Your Crappy Presto, is normally the same price as the Motorcraft, at Autozone. Another reason to think about longevity, and better-ment, instead of "throwin' $$$ away. After the Presto issue messed me up, so many times, this is exactly the same dilemma I was caught up in. To date, I've helped change 5 or more '76-'78 Prestos, and 3 Older CJ 5s w/ point systems, to the Motorcraft system.

Here, if you need me, I don't mind!

The Medic
Monday, August 1st, 2011 AT 9:14 PM