1976 FORD MAVERICK ENGINE CUTS OUT AT HIGHER RPM'S

• 2CarPros-Archives
  • 1976 Ford Maverick
  • automatic

1976 Ford Maverick mileage: 150,000. I had a 6 cylinder put a (89) 302 in car. Holley carburetor and fuel pump. The engine will idle fine at mid to high rpm's, the engine starts cutting out like there’s a rev limiter in the ignition system, which is stock. The engine has 10 half to 1 compression, larger then factory cam.I was told it is many different problems!Fuel system, ignition system or valve train. Any input you can add could be a big help to me

Friday, February 11th, 2011 AT 7:10 PM

• 2CarPros-Archives

Check the fuel pressure with the engine running and when the problem is occurring. You could be having insufficient fuel being supplied to the engine and may need to replace the fuel pump.

Friday, February 11th, 2011 AT 7:11 PM
  • hmac300

Checkyour distributor plate as they wear, the vacuum pin wears as well as the pivot. It may bethat. Anddo your regular ignition checks and fuel pressure as well as volume.

Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 8:54 PM