MY CAR WILL ONLY START IN NEUTRAL BUT IT'S LEAKING GAS ON THE CARBURETOR WHATS WRONG?

1975 Plymouth Duster

mkkx

March, 18, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

I got a new syllenoid installed a couple days ago because when it wouldn't start I would jump the syllenoid and it would turn over. But now when I put the key in the ignition to start the battery only works and it doesn't always attempt to turn over there is no noise at all. But sometimes if I play with the shiftier it'll start but as soon as I put it in park it starts to shake and turns off. And I noticed it was leaking gas on the carburetor

Carb..leaks Gas

1 IMAGE

Jacobandnickolas

March, 18, 2012 AT 8:50 PM

First, any fuel leak is a danger. It needs to be fixed first. Next, you need to check if there is power going to the starter when it doesn't work. Have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for power to the smaller wire on the starter. You should get 12v. If you do, and it still doesn't start, remove the starter and have it checked.

Jacobandnickolas

March, 18, 2012 AT 8:51 PM

NOTE: I forgot to mention, if it will only start in neutral, then the neutral safety switch sounds bad.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right