REGULATOR WIRE

1974 Jeep CJ5

Dhunter830

June, 18, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

All my regulator wires are hooked up to my alternator but I have a black wire run from one of my mounting screws but its not hooked up to anything, is it just a ground wire?

My Alternator Quit Charging

Alternator Wiring Problem

Dhunter830

June, 18, 2012 AT 8:31 PM

This is my problem

June, 18, 2012 AT 8:38 PM

IS THIS THE PUPPY?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Voltage-Regulator-BWD_5430518-P_204_R%7CGRP60003_____

IS THIS YOUR ALTERNATOR?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Alternator---37-Amps-Worldwide_5210364-P_11_R%7CGRPALTSAMS_____

IF NOT, SEND A PIC OF WHAT YOU HAVE---POINT AT YOUR PROBLEM CHILD WIRE WITH A COLORED PEN OR SOMETHING WE CAN SEE WELL

SEND ENGINE SIZE TOO

HAS YOUR WIRING BEEN BUTCHERED OR MODIFIED OVER THE YEARS?

June, 18, 2012 AT 8:39 PM

Connect that wire to the negative positive post and check the alternator voltage at the battery terminal of the alternator-you should have 13.5-15.5 volts-Let me know

June, 18, 2012 AT 9:00 PM

YOU MUSTA POSTED THAT PIC WHILE I ANSWERED LAST TIME

EITHER THAT IS A "JUNK WIRE" THAT WENT TO AN ACCESSORY, IT APPEARS TO BE WRAPPED AROUND THE BOLT--OR SOMEONE ATTEMPTED TO GROUND THE FENDER OR REGULATOR. MAYBE TO ANOTHER GROUNDED ITEM (BATTERY OR FRAME)

IS YOUR JEEP RUNNING?

CHARGING?

ARE YOU VOLTMETER COMPETENT?

WHAT'S YOUR OVERALL MISSION WITH THIS JEEP?

I MAY CAN AID YOU WITH OTHER STUFF, OR PUT YOU ONTO RELIABLE INFO YOU CAN USE!

June, 18, 2012 AT 9:15 PM

Correction: negative battery terminal-JF seems to me you're on the right track of your suspicion

Dhunter830

June, 19, 2012 AT 2:04 AM

No the jeep does not run yet, I want to get all the wires hooked up before I try and start it. It has the 232 straight 6 in it. I just need to know if is important that it's hooked up, or if I should just take it off.

June, 19, 2012 AT 2:37 AM

Take it off

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500