I TOOK THE INGINTION BARREL OUT AS I LOST MY ...

• jasonhq
  • 1974 Holden HQ

I took the ingintion barrel out as I lost my keys I have been trying to start it with the bar that runs down the steering shaft to the innition switch. My problem is wen I do this the engine winds over but ther is no spark wen u turn the key back to the off position it sparks I replaced the ingnition switch thinking it was the cause but this is not the case plz help thanks jason

Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 AT 1:11 AM

• mhpautos

Check that you have 12v at the coil pos terminal with the ignition on. Do you get dash light on still?

Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 AT 11:09 AM
  • jasonhq

Ye I still get dash light have checked all wires to the coil everything seems to work as normal except that it sparks wen the key is turned back to the off position am at a loss with it everything mech seems ok I am thinking its in the wireing under the dash to the coil somwhere some how any ideas thanks jason

Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 AT 10:55 PM
  • mhpautos

Check that the switch is actually switching as it should and do a continuity check down the loom from the switch, is it auto or manual? If auto is trans isolator switch ok?

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 12:05 AM
  • jasonhq

It s a manul I just had a thought would it be doing this if the distrbutor is not timed right. Altho it should be it was running fine wen I parked it up and it hasent been touched since so it should be right but just a thought

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 12:47 AM
  • mhpautos

I feel that it will be a wiring issue, check for 12 V AT THE COIL WITH THE IGNITION ON
check carbon brush in distributor is ok and not burnt, check points are not closed up.

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 1:03 AM
  • jasonhq

It is an electric dis but I will check all this and let u no thanks for ya help cheers

Sunday, March 24th, 2013 AT 1:13 AM