283 CHEVY SMALL BLOCK

1973 Chevrolet Truck

jrlopez

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:03 AM

I have an old chevy truck that had been put up for about 1-1/2 years. I tryed to starting it and the engine started knocking I pulled the vavle cover and found some of the rocker completely off of the push rods. How can I adjust these

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:14 AM

The ones that are off-put it back in place and tighten it while turning the push rod till push rod won't turn-not fire it up now tighten down the rockers til the noise stops and then 1 full turn do this on all of them. Loosen it till its start clattering and tighten it till noise stops and then 1 full turn-When done check ignition timing-

jrlopez

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:21 AM

I put all of them back but one I tightened as tight as I could and it was still loose.

jrlopez

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:24 AM

I put all of tghem back but I had one that no matter how tight I got it it was still losse

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:49 AM

Check the rocker arm, push rod and the valve lifter

jrlopez

March, 21, 2011 AT 4:00 AM

I checked the Push rod and rocker and They are fine. How do I check the lifter without tearing my engine apart.

March, 21, 2011 AT 4:06 AM

You need to remove the intake to get at it-You can pull the lifter out with a special tool-check tool rental

hmac300

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:50 PM

If this is a 1973 engine then it's more than likely your camshaft has worn down. These were famous for doing this. If your lifter tool won't get teh lifter out it may be mushroomed on the bottom and the only way it will come out is through the bottom. But you'll need to pull the cam out first as you'll need a new one.

jrlopez

March, 21, 2011 AT 4:29 PM

This engine was rebuild about a year 1/2 ago and has not been driven so the cam should be good. Back to my queston how do I pull the intake and put it back and not have trouble with the timimg.

hmac300

March, 21, 2011 AT 5:31 PM

You have to pull thedistributor to remove the intake. Eitehr mark the distirbutor and the rotor and don't turn the engine over. If you do turn it over, takeit to number 1 (left side front) with the timing mark on crank lined up to cam cover mark, point rotor to about 11: 30 with 12: 00 being front of engine. It should start ok then or it will be off a few degrees but easily reset.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement