WITHOUT ANY SIGN MY BMW CEASED TO IDLE

• Anonymous
  • 1973 BMW 2002
  • 100 miles

Without any sign my BMW ceased to idle. It sstarts ok and drives under power smoothly, however when I come to a stop sign it will not idle and dies. Any thoughts and comments on where to look before I start a painful and expensive trial and error process.
Michael Feldman

Friday, December 21st, 2012 AT 6:31 PM

• Dr. Hagerty

Is there a Weber carb in there? Check the anti dieseling solenoid, the long skinny thing with a wire going to it, see if there is power with the key on.

Saturday, December 22nd, 2012 AT 4:32 PM
  • owabim2012

I am not sure where this component would be. How do I check to see if power is getting to it?

Monday, December 24th, 2012 AT 6:35 PM
  • owabim2012

Yes it does have a weber. One individual said that it should be replaced as they have a very short lifetime.

Monday, December 24th, 2012 AT 6:39 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Weber carbs have an online site, go there and see where the valve I speak of is. And the chap that said something about a short life span might have meant the original Solex carb, the Weber is quite durable.

Tuesday, December 25th, 2012 AT 4:10 PM