I WANT TO REPLACE SPEEDOMETER CABLE ON MY 1972 ...

1972 Buick Skylark

Anonymous

January, 28, 2013 AT 1:06 AM

I want to replace speedometer cable on my 1972 Buick Skylark GS. How do I disconnect from speedometer. Do I need to pull instrument cluster?

January, 28, 2013 AT 2:26 AM

LOOKING AT THE PIC IN THIS LINK

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_speedometer-cable-atp_5612381-p?searchTerm=speedometer+cable

LOOKS LIKE THE WAY IT USED TO BE..........LIKE WITH MY JEEPS, ONE BEING A 1977 THE OTHER A 1946........ONE OF THEM GOOD THINGS, THEY JUST HAD TO CHANGE!

IT UNSCREWS OFF, AT BOTH ENDS...........SPEEDO AND TRANNY

IT MAY REQUIRE A SMALL SET OF CHANNEL LOCK PLIERS TO GET IT TO START TURNING (IF IT'S BEEN ON THERE FOREVER)....CAREFUL NOT TO SQUEEZE IT TOO HARD, IT MAY BE A THIN ALUMINIUM OR POT-METAL THREADED COLLAR.....EZ TO DISTORT OR CRUMBLE

IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT FROM THE CABLE---IT'S REGULAR OLE THREADS ---- CCW WILL TAKE IT OFF

IF YOU ARE JUST CHANGING THE INNER CABLE---ONLY TAKE LOOSE THE SPEEDOMETER END AND PULL OUT THE INNER PART

UPON REPLACING IT, SPIN THE INNER CABLE AS YOU PUSH---WHEN YOU BOTTOM OUT---THIS WILL LET THE "SQUARE" DROP OFF INTO THE DRIVER PORTION AT THE TRANNY

LEMME KNOW WHEN YOU GET 'ER DONE

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement