HOW DO I GET THE STUDS ON MY ROCKERS TO QUIT BREAKING , IS THERE TOO MUCH MOTOR FOR THESE HEADS

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

bg1442003

March, 3, 2012 AT 12:37 AM

582 dart block, world products heads, solid lift cam 780-790 lift, 10.1, 700 hp, approx 700 fpt fpt. Dyno tuned on motor. Can take it back to builder but long way away . Would like to fix myself, sounds to me as though he has either wrong springs in there or studs are too weak. Thanks for the site! Used it yesterday to change a belt on a diville. So much help with the pdf file. Ill learn to draw these things out before I rip into them !

caradiodoc

March, 3, 2012 AT 12:50 AM

.780 lift! That's double of normal. What's in there for rocker arms? If you still have the standard 1.5 to 1, you might consider dropping the cam to a lower lift and going with 1.6 to 1 rocker arms to get the same valve opening.

Regardless, this is typically caused by coil bind when the valve springs are fully compressed and need to go more, or it's from excessively strong springs to prevent valve float at high rpm. With a valve fully open, see if there's room to slide a feeler gauge between the coils. If there's not, back the rocker arm nut off a little. With solid lifters, they can't bleed down like hydraulic lifters so you'll have to live with the clatter. There may be dual springs available that have thinner coils to allow more clearance. The inner spring is a regular spring instead of the wound-up strip used to dampen vibration.

bg1442003

March, 3, 2012 AT 1:09 AM

Thanks guys all roller . Rockers and cam ill try to the feeler gauges. Shes a beast for sure. Already ran 10.95 without her really being dialed in. Dominator 1100 ran good for the first 200 then kept breaking these studs gettting all sorts of advice. Replace heads all springs, studs. Thanks again

Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20