CAR STARTING

1970 Pontiac Trans Am

matthewwalton419@yahoo.com

My 1970 trans am is hard to start. Its worse when warmed up. Seems like there is not enough power

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

If your saying it cranks good but won't start, try some starter fluid in the intake. I usually open the choke valve, spray a little in there. Stand back away from the vehicle, have helper crank, see if it helps? How long since a tune-up?

There is always a safety issue with using a flamable spray, safety is your responsibility.

Also, with an extended crank, you can remove airhorn from carb without removing carb, depending on the carb, see if any gas in the float bowl. Do you see any gas squirt in the throttle-bore, when you work the throttle-linkage?

matthewwalton419@yahoo.com

January, 6, 2011 AT 5:38 AM

When the car is warmed up it cranks slow like when you have a weak battery. Even with a new battery. Once the car cools down it generally starts fine. I have put on a starter heat shield and larger battery cables but that only helped a little.

On older GMs I have heard of using a ford starter relay up high on the fender lining, to get away from the heat. I'll look for the diagram, don't know if it will help?

Using the ford solenoid is supposed to supply more current. The diagran came from chevelles. Com, don't know if it will help?

matthewwalton419@yahoo.com

Thank you. I will try this first when I get the car out of storage

March, 2, 2011 AT 4:59 PM

Hope it helps.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang