CRANKS BUT NO START

1970 Pontiac Catalina

antione

June, 6, 2011 AT 5:55 PM

My car cranks but wont start I changed my fuel pump but I think it is a fuel pump in the tank also or its there to check the level of the fuel but I am not getting any fuel

caradiodoc

June, 6, 2011 AT 6:14 PM

The only pump is on the engine. If the car sat for a while, such as over winter, fuel may have evaporated out of the line down to the pump. It may be necessary to pour a little into the carburetor to get the engine started. It will run only for a few seconds each time you do that but it's that higher engine speed that's necessary to get the pump to start pulling fuel from the tank. Once it's primed, it will continue to supply fuel normally.

If the car is rusty, also look for pinholes in the fuel line along the frame rail. That will make the pump draw air instead of fuel.

antione

June, 6, 2011 AT 6:19 PM

Thanks for the response I will try it

antione

June, 6, 2011 AT 8:15 PM

I added fuel to the carb and tried to start it 4 times but still no start

caradiodoc

June, 6, 2011 AT 9:37 PM

Have you checked for spark?

antione

June, 8, 2011 AT 4:02 PM

No it does not have spark

caradiodoc

June, 8, 2011 AT 6:50 PM

Ahah! Check for voltage on the ignition coil with the ignition switch turned on. You should find full battery voltage on the positive terminal. If you find 0 volts, turn the engine a little by hand or by tapping the starter. There WILL be 0 volts when the breaker points are closed. When they open, the 12 volts should be there.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang