I AM WORKING ON MY FRIENDS MERCURY MARQUIS 70 I ...

1970 Mercury Marquis

Papajohnslice

November, 16, 2012 AT 5:41 AM

I am working on my friends mercury marquis (70), I just rebuilt the engine and carburetor, not to mention replaced numerous parts, well I got it to run perfect and great! But, we took it to his friends house and when we were about to leave the battery was dead, so his friend decided to attach a shorted out battery to it ( not to mention the size was way to small) and he hooked up the wires to the wrong terminals, let's just say there was allot of smoke, we took the battery off as fast as possible, but it had fried a wire completely and blown the fuse attached, I rewired it, and hooked the new wires up to the solenoid, but still when I attempt to turn it over the car clicks, it will only start with a boost, and even when it does that it takes forever, it seems like the car isn't getting enough spark, it gets plenty of gas but not much spark, I checked the points and they are set perfectly, I am not sure if it is a problem with the solenoid or wiring (the wires that fried went the the alternator)

November, 16, 2012 AT 6:07 AM

REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS ONE---REALLY GET INTO IT!

YOU SAID IT WILL "JUMP START" THIS MEANS IT WORKS!

TAKE THAT BATTERY OUT AND HAVE A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE TEST IT---USUALLY FOR FREE (EVEN A NEW BATTERY CAN BE BAD)....PIC AT BOTTOM---THE LAST ONE

NOW REALLY CHECK OUT MY LINK!.......PICS AT THE BOTTOM OF IT TOO

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

YOU MAY VERY WELL....OWE ME LUNCH!

RETURN WITH A GRIN

Papajohnslice

November, 19, 2012 AT 1:42 AM

Thanks for the help! Well. I feel kind of umm. Not very smart I should say, I almost completely rewired the system. The only thing I forgot to check. Ohh yes, the voltage regulator -_- I was completely oblivious to the signs, (wasn't getting enough power to the solenoid, light's flickered drastically when trying to start it without a boost, battery is completely fine, alternator is producing 13.5 amps, and power is getting to the starter) well I do thank you for all of you're help, next time I need help figuring out a problem i'm coming to you! : )

November, 19, 2012 AT 1:53 AM

GLAD YOU GOT IT!

COME BACK TO SEE US. MAYBE NOT SOON

SEND YOUR PALS

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i