318 CARBURETOR

1970 Dodge Coronet

loz93

June, 21, 2011 AT 5:05 PM

I have a 1970 dodge with a 318 v8. I've heard 2 things; in order to change the single barrel carb to a double barrel, I need to change the intake also. The other i've heard is; the only way a single barrel carb could sit on a 318 is thru an adapter. Just remove the adapter and the new dbl barrel carb will fit naturally. Which is correct?

Docfixit

June, 21, 2011 AT 5:09 PM

First is correct second way not.

caradiodoc

June, 21, 2011 AT 9:15 PM

Hi guys. The 318 only came with a 2 barrel carburetor, never a 1 barrel, and never a 4 barrel until the late '70s on a couple of models. The 340 only came with a 4 barrel. That intake manifold and carburetor will fit on the 318 and 360. The 360 came with either the 2 barrel or the 4 barrel and all of those intakes are interchangeable.

Are you sure someone put a dinky one barrel on your 318? The two barrel carb can be misidentified because it has a single opening that the air filter sits on, but if you look down inside you see two streams of fuel when you move the throttle. My suspicion is you have a two barrel and are trying to put a four barrel on it. They make aftermarket four barrel manifolds, otherwise, look for one from a 340 or 360.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right