1970 Chevrolet Truck Electrical Problem

GUMMERE
  • 1970 CHEVROLET TRUCK
The electrical system is dead. The battery is good but there is no power. No lights, horn, heater motor or starter. Sometimes it will just start working for no reason. I replaced the ignition switch a few months ago. Any ideas on how to track this down?
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 11:17 AM

First has it been modified? If so look for burnt fusible links normally around starter. Then start by checking to see if junction box going through firewall is connected and not burnt up due to age. Check wires leading behind motor on passenger side not being caught or bunt up from manifold and or pinched between trans/block. Check ground from battery to body and body to engine shold be one from valve cover to body pass side or block to firewall
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 12:08 PM
Hmac300,

I'M GOING WITH THE SUPER EZ STUFF!

STUFF THAT IS TAKEN FOR GRANTED

SEE MY "OLE RELIABLE" ANSWER IN THE POST OF THE PAST (KEEPS ME FROM PECKING IT OUT ALL OVER AGAIN)

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

I MADE A FEW PICS AT THE END OF IT TOO!

Gummere, RETURN BACK HERE WITH SOME GOOD NEWS!

Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 3:05 PM
GUMMERE
Thanks for the tip.

As far as I know it has not been modified. I figured it must be a bad ground. So I checked the ground from body to engine and engine to frame. I even clipped a jumper cable from block to body and battery to engine - nothing.

I did check the hot wire coming off the starter going to the fuse panel and it has been burnt and is bare in several places (that will get fixed soon). I checked the fuse panel and there is 12 volts on the back of the fuse panel. I figured it must be a bad ground.

Any other ideas would be most appreciated.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 AT 5:43 PM
WHATU WAITING ON!

THE OLE BURNT WIRE MIGHT HAVE A BURNT CONNECTION

IN OTHER WORDS, THE CONNECTION MIGHT NOT BE MAKING CONTACT, EVEN THOUGH IT'S STILL TOGETHER DUE TO THE OVERHEATING

OR THE BAD/ INTERMITTENT CONNECTION MAY HAVE CAUSED THE WIRE TO OVERHEAT AND COOK THE INSULATION, MAYBE THE WIRE IS IN HALF INSIDE THE INSULATION

THIS IS WHERE YOU TAKE THE CONNECTIONS APART, REPLACE DAMAGED STUFF, OR SAND THE CONNECTORS SO THEY MAKE GOOD CONTACT AGAIN.

WHILE TESTING, YOU MIGHT LOOSEN THE CONNECTION(S) A LITTLE BIT AND "SCOOCH" THE RINGS/ FORK/ ETC AROUND A LITTLE BIT, IN HOPES THAT IT WILL MAKE CONTACT (FOR A SECOND OR TWO ANYWAY) SO YOU WILL KNOW YOU HAVE FOUND THE "PROBLEM CHILD"!

Saturday, November 22nd, 2014 AT 8:20 PM