CHANGED BATTERY, STARTED AND DROVE, TODAY NO POWER

1970 Chevrolet El Camino

ringking

August, 18, 2012 AT 11:07 PM

I am taking care of my dad's 1970 El Camino while he is out of the country for two years. It is the SS, original numbers matching car that has been nicely restored.

I changed the battery 1 month ago. Went out to start it today, (I'm supposed to start it every month), and there is no power, no click, no attempt to start as if a fuse is blown. I charged the battery to no avail, still the same.

I see the fuse panel near the brake, but have no idea which fuse to change or what all the abbreviations mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did trace all the lines from the battery and none of them were pinched or damaged, and the connections were good and tight.

August, 18, 2012 AT 11:10 PM

First you need to test the battery and a volt meter s required. A bad battery cannot be charged as it would not hold charge.

Are the dash indicators lights coming on when ignition switch is turned on?
Are the headlights and horn working?

August, 18, 2012 AT 11:35 PM

Inspect and test the fusible link/s at the starter motor-start here

ringking

August, 18, 2012 AT 11:44 PM

It's a new battery now, auto zone just tested, it's ok. Nothing works, not the horn, acc lights, gauges, glove box light etc.

August, 18, 2012 AT 11:46 PM

If the battery is good and nothing works, that means something is wrong with the connections or main fusible links, which should be underhood and not underdash.

August, 19, 2012 AT 12:09 AM

There's a wire on the starter that's bulky looking test it with a test lite before and after it-lite don't come on-its blown

ringking

August, 20, 2012 AT 1:56 AM

Where are main fusible links underhood? Can a follow a wire to them? It doesn't look like there are any within 2 feet of the battery on either of the lines.

August, 20, 2012 AT 2:39 AM

Its down at the starter motor battery terminal a wire with a buldge on it-this is the fusible link

August, 20, 2012 AT 3:12 AM

I'M GOING WITH CONNECTIONS!!!!......I SEE THIS DAILY!

AT THE BATTERY OR AT THE STARTER

SEE MY "AGGRESSIVE POST" FROM A WHILE BACK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

I'LL SEND MORE PICS REAL SOON

August, 20, 2012 AT 4:47 AM

MAYBE I COULDA SAVED YOU SOME $$$ IF I'D BEEN IN TOWN A FEW HOURS AGO

HERE'S MY PICS

ringking

September, 1, 2012 AT 7:25 PM

I have followed all the wires from the battery, and there are no fusible links in any of them, just a lot of electrical tape from what I can see, but none of the twist connections that could house a fuse inside. It was running great before, so now I'm really stumped. What else could I try to get this thing started every month or so?

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Alternator testing done right