NEEDS WORK

1970 AMC Javelin

jkaps

February, 10, 2009 AT 3:26 PM

1970 AMC Javelin V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual unknow miles

whats up all. My dad's amc has been sitting in the garage unstarted for about 15 or so years. Our goal is just to get it running. I understand that any gas thats still in there is probably in the consistency of honey by now. At this point is it possible to get it started without a professional having to take it apart and hand clean it (the engine)?

Docfixit

February, 10, 2009 AT 3:46 PM

Drop tank clean out, blow out fuel lines. New pump and filter. Will need to rebuild carb. Put in new cap, rotor, wires, plugs and points and condensor. With plugs out put about 2-3 oz. Marvil Mystery oil in each cylinder let set overnight. Then hand turn engine. New oil and filter. Good battery and give it a whirll. Let me know as you progress and will help

Dr Loot

February, 13, 2009 AT 4:16 PM

I would like to help you but the only American motors vehicle I own is and AM General as you can see in the photo.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/307270_Champ_Grader_and_Kids_031_1.jpg

sparky1234

To the medic. I just took the gas tank off the 1968 javelin and it is full of varnish so bad it has turned into black gum! How do I clean it out?

January, 4, 2012 AT 2:27 AM

WANNA KNOW HOW WE DID A 1943 WILLYS MB JEEP TANK?

IT WORKED VERY WELL TOO!

WE REMOVED THE GOODIES OUT OF THE HOLES---DUCT TAPED 'EM SHUT

THEN FILLED IT ABOUT A 1/4 FULL OF SAND (PLAY SAND FROM LOWE'S)

THEN WE TIED THAT PUPPY TO THE DRIVER'S OUTSIDE WHEEL OF MY BUDDY'S FORD 2000 TRACTOR RIM

HE WAS GONNA BUSH-HOG THE FIELD BESIDE HIS HOUSE ANYWAY (ACTUALLY HE WAITED, SO WE COULD DO THIS)

ACRES UNKNOWN, HE WENT SLOWER THAN USUAL, TOOK ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF OR SO.I HAD TO RE-TAPE ONCE!

DUMPED AND RINSED/ FLUSHED WITH WATER

THEN THE SUN DID THE REST

LIKE NEW INSIDE!

sparky1234

January, 5, 2012 AT 2:06 AM

The medic. Awesome I was going to try filling it with gas and marbles but this is much more efficient and marbles dont have the wire brush power like sand. We got it running today and put a subaru brat radiator in it, made some gaskets and tommorrow we are going to drive around the property with the IV. Do you anywhere to get the front bumper.

January, 5, 2012 AT 2:28 AM

I'LL LOOK FOR A BUMPER. NO PROMISES!

WE USED 4 RATCHET STRAPS TO HOLD IT ON THE TRACTOR WHEEL!

WE ALSO LAID A CLEAR PLASTIC BAG OVER THE TANK TO ACCELERATE THE DRYING PROCESS---LIKE A "WATER STILL" USED TO "MAKE WATER" IN A DESERT ENVIRONMENT

sparky1234

January, 5, 2012 AT 2:52 AM

Thanks contact me about the bumper.

January, 5, 2012 AT 3:43 AM

ROGER--WILCO

sparky1234

January, 5, 2012 AT 3:51 AM

One more question. How do I find out if it is a base or an sst?

January, 5, 2012 AT 4:00 AM

TRY THIS---OR OTHERS

http://www.decodethis.com/