HORN WORKS ONLY ON ONE SIDE

1967 Pontiac GTO

redgoat67

September, 29, 2011 AT 2:17 AM

My steering wheel has two horn buttons one on each of the wheel's spokes. One side will sound the horn the other side will not. After taking apart the inoperable side, I can see that the button clearly makes contact but the horn will not sound. Do I need a new horn relay?... Or is the problem something else?

ProAutoTech

September, 29, 2011 AT 2:26 AM

Without knowing that steering wheel, I would assume that both horn buttons use the same relay. I would think that they tie in together before the relay, look into that.

redgoat67

September, 17, 2012 AT 1:30 AM

I cleaned the contacts and the horn worked fine on both buttons on the steering wheel. That was a year ago. Today, the horn stopped working again. I get an audible click in the engine compartment near the firewall whenever I press the horn button but no horn sounds. Do I need a new relay? If so where is it located. Or should I try something else first?

cadieman

September, 17, 2012 AT 1:58 AM

Run a wire from the battery to the horn. Does it sound?

redgoat67

September, 17, 2012 AT 2:43 AM

Yes. It sounded when I ran a wire from the positive battery terminal to the horn.

redgoat67

September, 18, 2012 AT 1:18 AM

So now I removed the horn relay switch and there is no click when I push the horn button. Before I spend $50 for an exact GM replacement I would like to test this old one to verify that it is indeed defective. I have a multimeter. What steps do I follow to test it. I should note that this GM relay is called a "littlefuse" horn relay. Also I have photo image of my relay.

redgoat67

September, 18, 2012 AT 9:51 PM

Problem solved. All I had to do was remove some tarnish on the 45-year-old horn relay terminals. Works fine now.

cadieman

September, 19, 2012 AT 10:09 PM

Good troubleshooting gl.