HOW TO GET FUEL TO FLOW FROM TANK TO ENGINE

1966 Ford Mustang

lukebarfield

October, 13, 2012 AT 5:33 PM

After 10 years of storage, I drained the gas tank, replaced the fuel hose at the engine (filter is clean), and blew air through the fuel line from the engine to the tank. I poured 15 gallons of new fuel into the tank but still no fuel is reaching the engine. I even jacked up the rear end to help with more gravity feed, blew air through again, heard the fuel bubble but no fuel reaches the fuel line at the engine. Appreciate your help. - Luke

October, 13, 2012 AT 5:34 PM

Most likely is the fuel pump has failed. Check fuel pressure first.

October, 13, 2012 AT 5:35 PM

It should be about 7 lbs. There should be about 2 to 3 lbs of vacuum at the pump. Make sure the hoses are not cracked or broken

lukebarfield

October, 13, 2012 AT 5:39 PM

I can't get fuel to the pump, gravity feeds the fuel from tank to the engine, right? I didn't think there is a pump inside the tank.

October, 13, 2012 AT 5:57 PM

The pump is on the motor. There is an inlet hose, hose to the carb and if you have ac, a return line to the tank.

lukebarfield

October, 14, 2012 AT 7:28 PM

Hey thank you for the help, after replacing the pump and turning the engine over, I got fuel to the engine and it started right up!

October, 14, 2012 AT 9:39 PM

AIRBORNE!

AS CHEAP AS ONE IS. GET YOU A SPARE/ STICK IT IN A ZIP-LOCK/ KEEP IT IN THE TRUNK.I KEEP TOOLS AND SPARE STUFF IN MY JEEPS, LIKE A FUEL PUMP. COIL. IGNITION MODULE (SO FAR, I'VE AIDED 2 OTHER JEEPS DISABLED ON THE ROADSIDE, USING THE PUMP FOR ONE, AND THE IGNITION MODULE FOR THE OTHER)

IT'S KINDA LIKE IF I DIDN'T HAVE 'EM ON HAND NOW, I'D NEED 'EM

ARE YOU STILL RUNNING POINTS IN YOUR RIG?

FEEL FREE TO SEND PICS, WE LIKE SEEIN' WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang