200MA DRAW FROM TAILLIGHT CIRCUIT

1966 Chevrolet Chevelle

daromiller

July, 7, 2012 AT 4:57 PM

My battery has been going dead when sitting for a few days. I checked at battery for a draw and found a 200ma draw that went away with tail lamps fuse pulled. Before that I had replaced 3 of the tail lamp sockets. How can I determine if one or more are causing the draw, and it not the sockets themselves, how can I pinpoint the draw. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
daro

Tail Light Socket

1 IMAGE

July, 7, 2012 AT 5:04 PM

Put the fuse back in and take each bulb out separately to see when the draw dis appears.

daromiller

July, 7, 2012 AT 5:48 PM

I found it. I did as you suggested - no change. I unplugged the tail light harness where it comes into the trunk from under the back seat - no change. I checked the fuse box and found next to the tail light fuse, a spade to connect accessories to that was a fused battery + which I had a radio wire connected to. I moved wire to ign + spade and draw was eliminated. Radio was not connected to speakers so I did not know it was always on.
Thank you for helpful advice and quick response.

Side Marker Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
Reverse Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet