BOUGHT A REBUILT 350 DROPPED IT IN MY 64 CHEV ...

1964 Chevrolet Truck

michaelmontana

November, 30, 2012 AT 7:50 AM

Bought a rebuilt 350, dropped it in my 64 chev s/side
Runs great. BUT. I can't get the clutch to adjust.
I can see the clutch plate moving when you work the clutch and the peddle feels good. When you try to put it in gear it just grinds
When I tried to adjust the clutch, I ran out of length and added a couple of nuts to the rod to extend the distance, thinking maybe I wasn't applying enough pressure for the clutch plate. This gave me a wider gap in the clutch plate action as the clutch was applied but seem to weaken the clutch peddle action. It doesn't seem to have the mid range release as you depress the clutch. It just feels consistent. When the truck is off. Gears shift fine.
If it's running in neutral, you can't shift into gear (grinds)
If it's in gear and you depress clutch truck lurches forward.
Thanks,

Michael

November, 30, 2012 AT 10:14 AM

Sounds like a pressure plate problem-If its me I'll replace the clutch assembly-

shawngage

December, 18, 2012 AT 4:26 AM

Are you sure you didnt get the clutch disc in backwards? Its easy to do. Most have front, or yellow paint, marking the side that goes to the motor. I have done it, and it acted just like you describe.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement