STRUT REPAIR

1963 AMC Rambler

rherman

December, 2, 2010 AT 4:46 PM

I had read at one time that there was a way of repairing, or changing out the front struts for this car. There are no struts available that I can find.

caradiodoc

December, 2, 2010 AT 4:59 PM

Struts were unheard of in the '60s on domestic cars. You should have coil springs and upper and lower control arms. I have to confess that '63 models are a little before my time, but if you don't see coil springs, look for torsion bars. Do you know what I'm referring to? If not, we'll cover that later.

There were some struts in the '80s that had inserts that were replaced instead of the whole strut assembly. Volkswagen was one. You had to use a pipe cutter to cut the top of the body off, then remove the cartridge, some of the cooling oil, and install the new, larger cartridge. It was a much improved cartridge over the puny original design. The housings were already threaded inside for the new cap that came with the cartridge. They sure made servicing their cars a miserable job.

The first domestic car I'm aware of that used struts was the Omni / Horizon from Chrysler in '78 and the Chevy Citation in '80. Ford followed a few years later with their Escort disaster.

Safely Replace Your Rear Struts
Replacing Your Front Struts Like a Pro
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class