1955 CHEVY BELAIR SUDDENLY LOSES POWER

1961 Chevrolet Bel Air

2CarPros-Archives

November, 19, 2010 AT 11:19 PM

1955 Chevy Belair Mileage 85,000 I have a '56 Belair with a two-barrel Carburetor. While driving at approximately 40-55 MPH engine suddenly loses power (no sounds/as if stalled). As the speed falls below 40, the engine kicks back on. This repeats if trying to accelerate again. I have replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the carburetor, and changed the distributor and coil. While "power-braking" the engine, the fuel enters the carburetor for about one minute then the engine dies. It acts as if it is starving for fuel. Could a hose collapse from the fuel tank cause this condition? If not, what could?

2CarPros-Archives

November, 19, 2010 AT 11:22 PM

Check for fuel in the carburetor when the engine dies after power braking to isolate the problem to the fuel system. Some possible causes include: 1. Cracked fuel hoses at the tank of pump, 2. Partially plugged fuel pick-up filter in the gas tank, 3. Incorrect gas tank cap causing a vacuum in tank, 4. Alternator diode failure allowing AC voltage to ignition coil 5. Faulty ignition module in Distributor.

hmac300

November, 20, 2010 AT 12:29 AM

Also check thehose by the fuel pump from the tank. That can get pretty warm and soft it will sucktogether as it right by the fuel pump. Also as this is a mechanical pump the rod that runs from the cam to the fuel pump arm wears and it might be worn or the cam is worn and not opening the pump far enough.

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250