FUEL CAP IS SPEWING FUEL

1961 Chevrolet Astro

leo1957

July, 16, 2012 AT 11:46 AM

I have a 57 chevy truck, I installed a new fuel tank today. I put everything back perfectly except the vent hose. The vent hose that it had was cracked. Went to auto zone replaced the vent hose. I noticed that the old piece of hose had paper shoved into it. I put the new vent hose on, started the truck, went to the store to fill up. Came home, went inside. 1 hour later, leaving for church, there is fuel spewing from the cap! Fuel was coming out of the key hole, my paint was blistered. I immediatly took the cap off n u can hear the tank gargling! I went to church, when I got back the fuel was still gargling even with the cap off! Do I need to plug off the vent tube like it was? Isnt that what the vent tube is for? Mind u, I have replaced the tank before in this truck but the bracket behind the tank that connects the body to the floor made two little holes in the tank, so I bought a new one. Got any answers out there, thanks. Leo

mhpautos

July, 16, 2012 AT 11:49 AM

You need to check the compleate EVAP system, if this is blocked the tank will over presurize and fuel will come out the cap.

leo1957

July, 16, 2012 AT 11:58 AM

The only evap it has is on the tank itself, fuel pump is one in and one out. Vent hose was blocked by a piece of paper when I started and it ran fine before I put a new vent hose on. Now that I put a new tank and vent hose the fuel started spewing.

mhpautos

July, 16, 2012 AT 12:04 PM

I have no pics of the system, the tank will require a vent, older cars often vented from the cap, if there is a tank vent pipe, just ensure that it is free of kinks and that you can blow through it into the tank.

Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma