Fuel cap is spewing fuel

LEO1957
  • 1961 CHEVROLET ASTRO

I have a 57 chevy truck, I installed a new fuel tank today. I put everything back perfectly except the vent hose. The vent hose that it had was cracked. Went to auto zone replaced the vent hose. I noticed that the old piece of hose had paper shoved into it. I put the new vent hose on, started the truck, went to the store to fill up. Came home, went inside. 1 hour later, leaving for church, there is fuel spewing from the cap! Fuel was coming out of the key hole, my paint was blistered. I immediatly took the cap off n u can hear the tank gargling! I went to church, when I got back the fuel was still gargling even with the cap off! Do I need to plug off the vent tube like it was? Isnt that what the vent tube is for? Mind u, I have replaced the tank before in this truck but the bracket behind the tank that connects the body to the floor made two little holes in the tank, so I bought a new one. Got any answers out there, thanks. Leo

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 11:46 AM

MHPAUTOS

You need to check the compleate EVAP system, if this is blocked the tank will over presurize and fuel will come out the cap.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 11:49 AM
LEO1957

The only evap it has is on the tank itself, fuel pump is one in and one out. Vent hose was blocked by a piece of paper when I started and it ran fine before I put a new vent hose on. Now that I put a new tank and vent hose the fuel started spewing.

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 11:58 AM
MHPAUTOS

I have no pics of the system, the tank will require a vent, older cars often vented from the cap, if there is a tank vent pipe, just ensure that it is free of kinks and that you can blow through it into the tank.

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 12:04 PM

Help us by donating