2000 Regal - Cruise & fan system stop working same time

Tiny
INDO
  • 2000 BUICK REGAL
We just became the second owners of this well taken care of car and we've been experiencing this problem. The cruise control and the fan/air system both stop working seemingly randomly. Often times too, you will hear the system start blowing a few seconds later than expected after starting the car. One time the fan just kicked on a few miles after driving down the road. My wife also has mentioned she thinks it's kicked on a few times after making a right turn.

I just went out to the garage to check connectors and it was working when I started it. I turned it off and back on to ignition a few times and when I started it again, it wasn't working! Fumbling with the wires/connectors didn't do anything.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Our car is a 2000 Buick Regal LS with about 90,000 miles on the 3.8L II.

(We brought it in to get diagnosed one time but the car always worked great for the mechanics and they weren't able to come up with anything. They did mention one idea, I think they said it could be the wiring harness for the ignition $300.)

Jeremy
Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 AT 7:17 PM

2 Replies

Tiny
INDO
  • 4 POSTS
Here's a reply to myself. Since I haven't gotten any and I THINK I may have figured out what the problem is, I thought I'd post this for reference.

I THINK I figured out what the problem is just from talking with automotive electricians and coming across the following post.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/1998-buick-regal--lost-cruise, -heater-blower,-side-mirrors,-vt82833.html

If the link for some reason stops working, here's an excerpt:

By Adda
Had planned to ask your advice but my son found the trouble and I want to tell you about it. During a trip, using cruise control at 70mph, it suddenly went off and never returned. Simultaneously lost heater blower and operation of sideview mirrors. Suspected ground connection. Had to remove most of the dashboard to check out all grounds. Also under the hood. Cleaned them, reconnected them and everything worked for a minute or so, but lost them again. Also checked all related fuses, found that they had to be cleaned. Using the manuals for a 2000 Buick Century, he eventually found that I needed a relay for the blower. However, the big cause of the problem was found in the ignition switch. Replaced both relay and ignition switch. The relay was not the cause of the problem but it needed replacing. Problem solved!!!!!!!!! Never would have believed the problem was in the ignition switch!! I just wanted to write and let you know - some problems seem easy to solve but definitely are not!! This was a major job - took 2 days in 35 degree temp and outdoors. Cost $156 plus tax. Thank goodness for such a wonderful son!!!!

So I think I'll try to find a cheap ignition switch and give this a go and hope that it fixes the problem!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, January 18th, 2008 AT 5:36 PM
Tiny
DENNYP
  • MECHANIC
  • 1,823 POSTS
An ignition switch should take care of your problem. I have see this in several vehicles. The ignition switch fils to power up on a circuit that provides power to the HVAC controller and the cruise. Sometimes it will provide low voltage output on this circuit and cause erratic control behavior.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Monday, January 21st, 2008 AT 10:42 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links