SMELL OF GAS

2001 Volvo S60

Smells problem
2001 Volvo S60 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

I am smelling gas inside my car and now sometimes I have to punp the gas to start it.
Iggy4Shrt

It sounds like you have a gas leak somewhere. Have you noticed any small puddles under your car or drips. They will disipate after a couple of hours so checking in the morning will not work.

Klshiel
I saw a small puddle once. Where exactly should I check? I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump but I dont know where it is or what it looks like.

Iggy4Shrt
A fuel pump can cause the hard to start problem, but it will not cause you to smell gas. I do not know for certain on your car but the pump on most cars is in the tank. A fuel filter can cause the problem, but again you will not smell gas. The place to check is along the steel fuel lines under your car. There will be two thicker lines one a return line and one a supply the supply will have the fuel filter in it. The fuel filter is a small cylinder with a line in and a line out. There will also be thinner lines. These are brake lines. Look for rust on the lines. If you find a spot that is rusted, and looks wet you have probably found your leak.

Klshiel
Thank you very much.

Iggy4Shrt
MY GIRLFRIEND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I SAW THAT THERE WAS A RECALL IN SOME CARS FOR THE S60 2001-2002 FOR THIS PROBLEM.
YOU MUST CALL VOLVO OF AMERICA AND GIVE THEM YOUR VIN # TO SEE THAT YOUR CAR IS IN THERE DATABASE. IT PROBABLY IS. THEN YOU CAN GO TO YOUR DEALERSHIP FOR THE REPAIR.
THEY WON'T CHARGE YOU ANYTHING.

BUT REMEMBER CALL VOLVO OF AMERICA FIRST, NOT YOUR DEALERSHIP. THEY WOULD WANT TO CHARGE YOU FOR THIS.

RMAURICIO
OH, I FORGOT THAT THE PROBLEM IS THE FUEL PUMP. THAT IS THE RECALL FOR.

RMAURICIO
This is a fuel pump problem, but there is NO recall for this, Volvo has extended the warranty on the fuel pump. That is all.

Jeff Lydic
Recall ID # 07V152000 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY: FUEL PUMP - Hide Details
Recall Date: APR 05, 2007
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY: FUEL PUMP
Model Affected: S60
Potential Units Affected: 1681

Recall Date: APR 05, 2007

Model Affected: 2002 VOLVO S60

Summary: ON CERTAIN VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF ARIZONA AND NEVADA, DUE TO THE COMBINATION OF FUEL QUALITY AND CLIMATE CONDITIONS, THE FUEL PUMP MAY, IN CERTAIN CASES, EXPERIENCE A REDUCED FUNCTIONALITY. THE MOST COMMON SYMPTOMS WOULD BE FUEL ODOR.

Consequence: FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 10, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.

Potential Units Affected: 1681

Notes: VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. 176

I have a 2002 S60 and live in florida and had the same problem. Volvo replaced the fuel pump free of charge.

RMAURICIO