2002 Volkswagen GTI

2002 Volkswagen GTI 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 133000 miles

My 2002 GTI 1.8T is leaking oil from the engine, I thaught it might have been leaking from the oil pan gasket, due to the fact that I wiped the pan down and watched the oil seap along the seal.

I replaced the oil pan gasket and placed silicone underneath just as an extra seal. Well not 10 min after changing the gasket it started leaking again.

I know its not the oil pan, it looks like its comming from the right hand sinde right above the oil pan. I think its the crank pully, it is a side engine so im guessing its called the forward main seal.

now if it is that how do I replace it, I need to be pointed in the right direction with detailed instructions as I am very new to the car repair game.
if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Even if you could send me to the right web side inorder to fix this problem.

Thanks a bunch

Welcome to the game. Changing that seal involves several steps and may require tools that you do not have. My advice to you is to purchase a car repair manual for your car and you will have a better understanding of what is involved. These manuals are cheap and they have priceless information and specific to your car. Even if you must take your car to a mechanic, these manuals will arm you with information that you would likely not have.