ENGINE LEAKING SMALL AMOUNDS OF OIL, HO

2002 Volkswagen GTI

2002 Volkswagen GTI 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

I have been working on a 2002 Golf GTI the last couple of months, I noticed a oil leak about a week ago. Well I did the whole UV dye thing and thaught I had traced the leak to the oil pan gasket.

well I replaced the oil pan gasket and low and behold its still leaking, I know for sure its not the oil pan gasket, it seams to be leaking from the foward main seal it the is what it called?

Its a side engine car so I guess thats what its called. What I wanted to know is how do I stop it from leaking and if I need to replace the seal how do I do it?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it, I need detailed instructions as I am new to the car repair game.

Thanks a buch!
House187

Be careful, valve cover gaskets and cam chain tensioner seals are common leaks and will run down the block and appear to be the oil pan leaking.
The valve cover gasket can be done without special tools, but the tensioner requires a tool to depress the oil activated tensioner. The tool is inexpensive, but the repair is difficult if you don't have experience.

If it is the front crank seal leaking you'll need to remove the cambelt to access it.
If it is the rear main seal leaking you'll need to remove the transmission, clutch, and flywheel to access it.

Dubtech
Thanks a bunch for the info I will be taking on the job this weekend so we will see how thinggs go, I am 99% sure it is the Crank shaft seal that is leaking and not the the rear main seal.
Just not sure on how to remove the cank pully its not a normal bolt I guess im going to do som more research on the removal process.

What is the name of the tool that you are talking of?

I looked at the valve cover and it is not leaking from there it is the crank seal.

If you have any pointers on how to do the job I would gretly appreciate it!

Thanks for your time!

House187