LOSS OF POWER WHEN ACCELERATING

1998 Vauxhall Vectra

1998 Vauxhall Vectra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 50000 miles

Hi guys,

I have a 1.6 16v vectra which runs like a dream first thing in the morning but as soon as the engine begins to warm up I lose power.

When I put my foot down to accelerate, the car sort of jumps as if fuel or air aren't getting into the mix properly. Thing is i've had friends say it could be fuel or air or exhaust gasses not escaping or problems with various sensors but I haven't a clue where to start!

I do get my ECU light coming on now and then but by the time I get it to the garage for a diagnostic, the light has gone out and the diagnosis comes up with no faults!

I would be really grateful for some help because I really like the car!

Many thanks,

Matt
Mattroutley

Hello. Thanks for the donation. Much appreciated

You seem to have what's called an " intermitent" fault occuring. Unfortunately tracking it down is going to be the hard part. It could be on any one of the sensors the car has. Usually when the MIL has been on, the car will store the code for a little while so next time it appears on. Take the car immediately to have it diagnosed. This will be the easiest way of tracking it down. From your description. It could be an injector fault or even a spark fault/MassAirFlow/ThrottlePositionSensor etc. Etc.. It's really hard to diagnose without the code and we could be changeing parts without reason till we track the cause. Because you say it does not start till the vehicle gets warm. I would first be looking at the coils or CKP(crankshaft Position Sensor). But as I said earlier. Without the fault code we are guessing and could replace these without reason. If you can get the codes. Repost with them and we can diagnose the cure. Hope this helps in some way. Let me know !

Dave H
Hi dave,

Thanks for your response, you're right I am having real trouble diagnosing the fault.

It is almost like the fault codes are not being saved on the system. Do you know if there is anything that I can plug into my OBD whilst I'm driving that would pick up the fault as it occurs?

The reason I ask is because I have taken it to the garage 4 times now but the diagnostic never finds a fault!

Many thanks,
Matt

Mattroutley
Hello Matt.

You could buy an OBD handheld reader to plug into your car whilst driving around .. these machines are very good .. I own one myself and couldn't do without it nowadays .. unfortunately they are expensive in england ..(I'm presuming thats where your located) I bought my first one from the USA whilst i was still in england and believe me it was invaluable ... bear in mind the prices are in dollars so with the exchange rate it will be cheaper in pounds but you also have to take into account the shipping cost's ...you may also want to take into account the fact that the cheaper readers only give you the fault code then you have to research it's meaning .. if you go for a reader that will give you definitions it's a lot less hassle and it also keeps track of sensor working property's .. ie. it checks/monitors fuel trim and air ratio etc. etc. whilst your road testing .. it's worth the extra in the long run .. most garages charge at least fifty pounds to just diagnose a fault .. so you could actually make your money back just off friends and family and everybody who likes to do there own repairs will need one of these sooner or later so it will be a great help in the future..most DIY mechanics have there own reader here .. One more thing you need to take into account .. 1998 was the year vauxhall changed from OBDI to OBDII so we will need to see which type of DLConnector you have on your vehicle ? if your DLC (data link connector), which is usually located under the plastic cover under the handbrake on vauxhalls, looks like the diagram below .. the it's OBDII if it's more square looking it's OBDI ... let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_dtc_4.jpg

Dave H
Hi Dave,

I finally got around to checking my OBD and although it's not the exact shape you have drawn (it's more like a solid rectagle) it does have 16 points so am I right in assuming this is an OBDII port? If so I will by the expensive reader so I can hopefully get the problem fixed once and for all!

Regards,

Matt

Mattroutley
Yeah if it has 16 pins it is OBDII ... you will not regret the purchase .. it will come in handy for the future as well as now .. all cars are OBDII(can) (control area network) ..nowadays ..the one your thinking of buying should perform these checks ..let me know how you do ? .. if you need any help once you have the codes let me know ..

Dave H

PS. Just checking on a point ? .. if your DLConnector looks a bit like this it is OBDI .. let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_dlc_2.jpg

Dave H
Yes it looks exactly like the second diagram so I guess it's OBDI. Does this make things more awkward or are there other readers out there?

Matt

Mattroutley
Most good OBDII scanners will read your vehicle. They just don't do everything on your actual vehicle they will do for the most modern vehicle's. The problem with your vehicle is the connector. Vauxhall in their infinate wisdom decided to use a different connector from every other manufcturer, I guess so you had to buy from, or take the vehicle back to them, the law changed and every manufacturer had to us the same connector, but vauxhall didn't start putting the new connector on untill 1998. Unfortunately you still have the old connector? I had this trouble when I was an RAC/Greenflag Tech back in england, I had to buy a seperate connector just for vauxhall, as vauxhall wasn't released in the states, I never brought it with me and gave it to a friend, so you can get them, it's just a pain in the A***.. Lol. Let me look into a retailer for you. I will get back to you a little later.

Dave H
Thanks Dave, it's really appreciated

Mattroutley
Just letting you know ! I haven't forgotten about you. I'm struggling to find anyone who does the OBDI connector. Will get back to you ASAP

Dave H
Thanks mate,

i just found site that says its compatible with a '97 vectra. do you think this would work?

http://www.myscantool.com

oh and i appreciate all this help and will donate some more to the site :)

Mattroutley
Page 1 of 3