TURN SIGNAL

2006 Ford F-150 • 65,000 miles

On my 1986 Ford Mustang 5.0. My feft turn signal does not work. Fuses are fine. Left rear bulb was replace with a new bulb. All lights works accept the left turn signal. Do I need to replace the left front bulb? If so, How do I get to the area to replace it? The left rear bulb have two connections on the bulb. The right rear bulb has only a single connection.
Drccbjr

You know you can't have two different bulbs on each side unless there's multiple sockets and you mixed two of them up. If there's two contacts in the middle of the socket there has to be two contacts on the bottom of the bulb. The single contact sockets and bulbs are for the backup lights, and those will have a single filament inside. The double-contact bulbs have two filaments. One is for the tail light and one is for the brake and signal light. Start by sorting that out.

Are we talking about a Mustang or an F-150?

Thank you. This is a Ford Mustang. The bulb on the left has two filaments and the one on the left has only one filament. I bought this Mustang new in 1986 and I have never had any changes to the electrical system. Do I need to replace the front left bulb or does this matter? I would appreciate your response. If you can't, I understand. Thanks again.

Drccbjr
The two sides can't be different so something is wrong there. For now, what is the symptom? Do the left signals light up but not flash or do they not even light up? If they light up but don't flash, that is because there's not enough current flowing through the flasher to warm up the heating element, and that is caused by one or more bulbs burned out, so yes, check the front bulbs to see if they're lit up.

If the bulbs don't even light up, front or rear, on just the left side, that could be due to a defective signal switch or a break in the wiring. If it's the signal switch none of the bulbs will light up. Depending where a break is in the wiring, you could have the front one light up but not the rear, (that's the most common failure), or they all could not light up. The additional clue is if you turn the signals off, then the left bulbs work with the brake pedal pressed, as they should, that proves the wiring to the rear is okay and the problem is likely the signal switch.

There could also be a break in the wire going to the front signal bulb. That one would not light up but the rear ones would. They just wouldn't flash.

Thank you. You really know your mechanics. There was water in the socket and it begin to work when it dried. Thank you very much.

Drccbjr
Thank you.

Drccbjr
Yes, I'm a genius. I have lots of people fooled.

I'm still questioning the different sockets on each side, and I don't doubt it's working now, but I'd prefer to see it for myself. Seeing is believing. Water really shouldn't cause a problem but you might want to check for corrosion on the contacts from previous moisture. You can clean them with some fine sandpaper. Also look at the contacts in the socket to see if one has melted into the plastic. Spring pressure will pull it away from the bulb's contact and could cause intermittent operation. Instead of replacing the socket you can melt a little blob of extra solder onto the bulb's contacts but you would have to remember to do that again if that bulb burns out.

Drccbjr
Thanks again. I will have it checked.

Drccbjr